Sunday, July 17, 2011

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mom

Just finished that book over 4 hours in the weekend at a cafe in Haji Lane, while waiting for my gf to go shopping in the little boutique shops there which she loves.

Great book, easy to read, and really reminds me of childhood in all ways! Especially the part of Amy getting her daughters to play the piano and the violin. I played the piano, and both my sisters play the violin and the piano. Those were also stressful childhoods, going straight from school to piano / violin lessons immediately after school, while eating our lunches in the car. Dad will drive us around, not let us play with other kids after school, send us home immediately just so that we will have maximum amount of time to study and practise our instruments. While I blame my lack of interpersonal skills to that period where I didn't really interact much with people, and people generally thought I was weird, I am very happy that I was pushed to the limits of my abilities (although sometimes I felt I could do better), and learnt so many skills.

I'll probably want to raise my kids the same way, pushing them to their limits, learning the most they can, and not giving up no matter what. I'll definitely be fierce with them, but I do draw the line at calling them names, and the crazy part of making them practice when going on holidays =) My parents didn't do that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home